Love Apple Farms
Student Farmer Training Program
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independent, the most virtuous." - Thomas Jefferson
Love Apple Farms welcomes positive, teachable, non-complaining, situationally aware, get-it-done, take-responsibility, clean-cut, grateful, drug-free, smoke-free, and cheerful farm apprentices to our facility. Our farm apprenticeship program encompasses:
- Learn 5 days per week, off two days except every third week, which is a 6-day week with one of the days being just minimal care of plants and animals.
- Room, good food, toiletries, wifi, utilities, and training are all provided. Accommodations include a full kitchen, bath, and semi-private living quarters.
- Expectations: like any experience, you will get out of it what you put into it. You can expect to learn how to do the following tasks: grow vegetables to exacting, Michelin-quality standards (if you don't know what Michelin is, Google it), harvest, fertilize, amend, stake, prune, thin, compost, keep chickens, perennial care, organic pest control, biodynamic principles, greenhouse growing and management, nursery plant care and sales, ornamental garden management, herb growing, bee keeping, gardening and cooking class assistance, and many other skills.
- Warning: if you cannot take direction, receive feedback that points out you may be doing something wrong and how to make it right, or otherwise are unable to accept critiqueing, then this is not the learning environment for you and you should be your own boss.
- Much of your time, in addition to being out with the plants and animals, will be organizing and assisting with our extensive list of gardening, cooking, and homesteading workshops.
- We run a tidy farm that is often photographed, so we expect all apprentices to keep it looking beautiful, and that means their personal living quarters as well. Please do not apply if you are messy, unable to recognize that something is dirty or out of place, or otherwise unwilling to leave a clean wake in your path.
Love Apple is currently accepting applications for our farm apprentice program for these time periods:
- June 16, 2015 to August 31, 2016
- September 1, 2015 to January 17, 2016
- January 18, 2016 to July 3, 2016
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to answer any specific questions not covered above. To apply, Download Apprentice Application, complete it on your computer in Word, and email it back to us.